Hardwood and laminate flooring add warmth and beauty to any room, and they’re also a great way to increase the value of your home. Sensational Blinds and Flooring have a wide variety of hardwood flooring styles and colors, from domestic species like Oak and Maple to exotics like Brazilian Cherry and Bamboo. PLEASE Remember that a good flooring installation starts with a correctly prepared subfloor. So be sure research this thoroughly or get our expert installation to provide the service to you.
PREP A PLYWOOD SUBFLOOR FOR HARDWOOD OR LAMINATE
If a floor plank and underlayment, or adhesive, will not fit under the door, remove the door and trim it with a circular
saw about 1/8″ above the level of the new flooring.
1. For a glue-down flooring application, the subfloor must be free of wax, paint, oil, sealers, adhesives or other debris.
- Use a sander to remove any coating or sealant.
- Vacuum the floor thoroughly.
2. For nail down, locking or floating installations, you can leave any coating as is, as
long as the subfloor is free of dirt and dust.
1. Make sure your floor is level.
Use a long level and tape measure to check that the floor is level.
- Typically, the floor must be level and uniform within 3/16” every 10’.
- Check your wood flooring manufacturer’s recommendations.
2. Sand down high spots with the sander.
- If the high spots are large or there are a lot of them, you might want to rent a random orbital floor sander.
3. Fill in low spots with cementitious leveling compound.
- If you are using nails or staples to secure your flooring, do not use the leveling compound – it will crack. Follow the flooring manufacturer’s instructions.
1. Check the moisture with a moisture test kit.
- Follow the test kit manufacturer’s instructions.
- If moisture levels are not within the wood flooring manufacturer’s recommendations, stop immediately and call a Lowe’s associate for help.
2. If you have a subfloor that consists of wood on top of concrete, you’ll need to test both floors.
1. Check for structural integrity.
- The subfloor must safely support the flooring, furniture, and people in the room.
- If you’re not sure about the integrity of your concrete subfloor, call a Lowe’s associate for help.
2. If a wood subfloor has any loose or squeaky boards, screw them to the floor joists (or nail using ring shank nails).
3. Check wood subfloor thickness.
- Check the manufacturer’s requirements about wood subfloor thickness and width, typically the preferred thickness is ¾”.
- Contact a Lowe’s associate if your wood subfloor doesn’t meet the manufacturer’s requirements.
4. Locking, engineered and laminate flooring may be installed directly over vinyl or linoleum, as long as the floor is no more than two layers thick.
The above represents flooring prep, remember you will also need underlay as well. Finally, acclimatise the room before laying your new floor.